Victoria Stilwell, the world’s best-known positive reinforcement dog trainer and star of the hit Animal Planet TV show, It’s Me or the Dog, explains how to use her force-free, scientifically-backed training methods to solve common canine behavior problems.
In her third book, renowned dog behavior expert Victoria Stilwell provides a comprehensive toolbox designed to help dog owners overcome the most persistent, annoying and dangerous behavior problems in their dogs. Far from being merely another dog training manual, however, it also serves as an easily accessible yet scientifically sound roadmap for understanding where our dogs come from, how they experience the world and what we need to teach them most effectively. Train Your Dog Positively is the definitive must-read book for all dog lovers who are committed to giving their canine companion the best chance to succeed by harnessing the power of force-free training techniques.
With this upbeat, proven guide, Victoria addresses the main problem behaviors that have dog owners wringing their hands in desperation, from submissive urination to separation anxiety to leash aggression to jumping up on visitors. Just like she does in her TV shows, Victoria helps owners actually change the way their dog thinks, feels, and learns. Using her time-tested and scientifically-backed brand of positive reinforcement training methodology, Stilwell not only helps us understand once and for all why outdated and dangerous punishment-based methods are so flawed, but also how and why to replace them with more effective and long-lasting positive solutions that create a bond between man and dog based on mutual trust, respect and love.
Part I. The Relationship: The Way Dogs Developed, How They Learn, and What We Need to Understand Them
- Chapter 1. Dominance and Pack Theory: Are Dogs on a Quest for World Domination?
- Chapter 2. The Power of Positive Reinforcement
- Chapter 3. Leading Without Force: The Future of Dog Training
- Chapter 4. Building the Bond: Understanding Canine Language
Part II. Behavioral Training Solutions
- Chapter 5. The Positive Puppy: Building a Solid Training Foundation
- Chapter 6. Housetraining Hell: Solving Toileting Issues
- Chapter 7. Home-Alone Blues: Easing Separation Distress and Anxiety
- Chapter 8. Stress, Anxiety, and Fear: From Thunderstorm Phobia to Compulsive Behavior
- Chapter 9. Canine Aggression: From Resource Guarding to Leash Aggression
- Chapter 10. Solving Common Behavior Problems: Stealing, Running Away, Jumping Up, Barking, Leash Pulling, Poop Eating, and Mouthing